Tuesday 16 July 2013

Early Predictions, and a Buffalo Concept

Hey gang, two little bits of information before I go to todays post:

1) Thank you to everyone who helped vote for me in the HJC Open.  Unfortunately, it was not enough as I only got 12% of the vote (2nd out of 3), and lost to an amazingly talented Matt McElroy.  Good luck to him in the next round.

2)  I made a new concept design and cleaned up a little on my concepts page.  This will also be found on there, but I'll put it on here as well, just for kicks.


And now onto today's topic.  There's been quite a few moves, deals, and shockers so far this summer, and we're barely even close to the start of the season.  But I've been doing some thinking as to where everyone is going to be next year, from all the moves made so far.  So taking into consideration the new divisions next year, I figured no better time like the present to make a couple of predictions.

WEST CONFERENCE

The CANA-FORNIA-CATION Division (OK, the name needs work)

1. Los Angeles Kings
2. Vancouver Canucks
3. San Jose Sharks
4. Edmonton Oilers
5. Anaheim Ducks
6. Phoenix Coyotes
7. Calgary Flames

Hurts me to say Calgary is going to end up last, but they have barely anyone left there, and with huge holes in scoring and goaltending, its going to be tough this year.  Edmonton will do better, and will pass the Ducks who I feel overachieved last year.  Vancouver will be good yet again, but I feel Los Angeles has the best chance to top this division next year.

The TEAMS THAT ARE MUCH CLOSER TO WINNIPEG THAN FLORIDA Division

1.  Chicago Blackhawks
2.  St. Louis Blues
3.  Colorado Avalanche
4.  Minnesota Wild
5.  Dallas Stars
6.  Nashville Predators
7.  Winnipeg Jets

Unfortunately, Winnipeg doesn't have enough pieces of the puzzle to have a contending team yet.  But, I would say that this is going to be the tightest division in the league.  Colorado and Minnesota are going to be very solid teams vying for contention, and Chicago will continue to dominate.

The CANADIANS, ALMOST CANADIANS, AND CANADIAN RETIREES Division

1.  Detroit Red Wings
2.  Toronto Maple Leafs
3. Montreal Canadiens
4. Boston Bruins
5. Ottawa Senators
6. Buffalo Sabres
7.  Tampa Bay Lightning
8.  Florida Panthers

No love for the Florida teams here.  They don't have the depth to compete with anyone besides themselves.  Buffalo is still struggling to find an identity.  Ottawa is a big question mark for me, if their young guys can contribute to the core of the team, Ryan can be the star that everyone thinks he is, and Spezza leads this team well, they might do better than 5th.  Boston took a hit because of the players they've lost.  Montreal and Toronto really look like playoff ready teams, but I think this is going to be Detroit's year.

The TEAMS THAT ARE ALL IN OR VERY CLOSE TO NYC, EXCEPT CAROLINA Division

Again, division names need work :P hopefully going back to the old division names before the last alignment.

1.  Pittsburgh Penguins
2.  Philadelphia Flyers
3.  New York Rangers
4.  New York Islanders
5.  New Jersey Devils
6.  Carolina Hurricanes
7.  Washington Capitals
8.  Columbus Blue Jackets

Columbus is on the up, but I don't think they'll get much of a shot in this division, unless Bobrovski plays out of his mind.  Washington and Carolina have solid teams, but need some work before they'll be competitive in this division.  The Staals and Ovie can't do it alone.  New Jersey may have an awful year, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now, since they always find a way to compete.  The Islanders will be a playoff team, but still not elite.  The Rangers will take great strides with AV I think, and Philly will take a huge leap with Lecavlier and Emery in the fold.  Just wish they didn't get rid of Briere... oh well.  Still, this division belongs to the Penguins, assuming Fleury can get back to his starting role.

That's what I think for now anyways, lots of time for that to change though.  Interesting to see how teams stack up in new divisions.  If you have any predictions of your own, or want to elaborate on mine, please leave a comment.  Have a good night everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I'm already excited for new hockey. My excitement has been fueled by a rather exciting free agent season, and I can't wait to see how some of those big moves turn out. You know I'll be watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats why I think Detroit, Philly and Toronto are going to be killers this year, they made some really good moves. But not all "good" moves end up that way, so I'm really excited to see how it all plays out.

    ReplyDelete